VISION : HEALTH FOR ALL WHERE USE OF DRUGS ARE MINIMAL
MISSION : to make available Drugs and Cosmetics of Standard Quality at controlled prices.
The quality of drugs is beyond the understanding of common man. It’s the responsibility of the Department to ensure the availability of quality drugs to the public and the market is free from counterfeit, spurious and substandard drugs and no drugs are sold at a price higher than the retail price marked on the container.
There are so many laws regulating the drugs and cosmetics whereby the safety of the consumer is protected:
- The Drugs & Cosmetics Act, 1940 and the Rules 1945
- The Drugs Prices Control Order, 2013 under the Essential Commodities Act, 1955
- The Drugs and Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisement) Act, 1954 and Rules, 1955
- The Kerala Drugs and other Store Unlawful Possession Act, 1971
- The Kerala Poison Rules, 1996 issued under the Poison Act, 1919.
- Kerala essential articles control Act 1986.
The Drugs Control Department of the State of Kerala was formed in the year 1961 and it enforces the above laws pertaining to drugs and cosmetics. If you have any problem with the quality or price of drugs, you can make complaint to all of our Zonal offices or to the Headquarters.